Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Loon Lake Weekend

Loon Lake is a reservoir surrounded by granite in the Sierra's. From Highway 50 past Pollock Pines, you take Ice House road past Union Valley Reservoir. It's a good long, windy drive to get there and you won't have much cell signal, but it's worth it.

Saturday, Chris and I met up with our friends Jimmy and Yazzy for a picnic lunch and a short hike.

I did not hear any loons, but I think they make their noise at night, so I'm sorry I missed that, but the gnarled old trees, hillsides of bushy manzanita and granite outcroppings were so wild looking that we would have been loons to go too far on the trail. We went back to town and had dinner with Jimmy and Yazzy.

I'm usually burned enough by this time of year to not have to worry, but this year I haven't been out as much and I sunburned my shoulders and neck. My bad.

A funny thing happened that day. We were singing "Eye of the Tiger" while hiking and that very song came on later in the car when we were leaving Jimmy and Yazzy's house after dinner. I think that will be our new Loon Lake song next time we go exploring out there.

I also learned something on the trail I'm not at liberty to discuss, but I will update when I can. Until then, all I can say is that I'm really glad I have the people I do in my life. I'm honored bu and grateful of the presence of such wonderful people.

That was pretty much my weekend. I was going to do canvassing for Garamendi again this Sunday, but completely forgot. Chris and I had fish and chips and bread pudding at deVere's with our friend Dennis. It was a last night out after going on a stricter budget as Chris enters into his last month without income. It was a good weekend with friends and awesome food.

No comments:

Post a Comment