Pages

Saturday, April 7, 2012

James Cavern

Last night, while killing time before a Deaf event at the Dive Bar, I heard a new cover of an old song, Usher's "Nice and Slow." It was very nice, but I was wondering why it was so loud. I was headed toward the Zuhg Life and I glanced over and there was a stage with a man in a hoodie playing an acoustic electric guitar. I was floored. It was so beautiful and the voice so flawless, I had thought it was recorded music. I stopped in my tracks and when I could breathe again, I went over to watch.

The man with the voice played three more songs, one of them his own, and I learned his name and that he was a local musician in the Sacramento area. His name is James Cavern and he has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard. To top it off, his favorite band is The Beatles; it's clear he knows good music. My readers, you all know how I feel about The Beatles. I bought the last CD the store had in stock and continued on with my way.

There are three times in my life that music has stopped me in my tracks and I remember them all clearly. The first time I heard "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away," by The Beatles when I was about eleven was the first. The second time was a few years ago when I borrowed a classical music CD and Erik Satie's "Trois Gymnopédies," and the third was yesterday. If I hadn't shaken his hand after the set, I'm afraid I would have been convinced he wasn't a mere mortal.

He is, in fact, a normal human being, with a Facebook and you can find him by looking in your search bar and liking his band page.

No comments:

Post a Comment