Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Running for Women

I tried on two pairs of shoes at Fleet Feet. The first, Brooks, I picked because signing up with Running for Women came with a 20% discount on Brooks products. (It also came with a $5 off coupon towards any bra, but that's not much of a deal when the "cheap" one is over thirty dollars).

They were comfortable, supportive and I felt like they would do just fine. The. I tried the newest model of my Mizunos and and they put the Brooks to shame. Unfortunately, it was the difference between paying $80 for a pair of shoes and $115.

So the Brooks, then. They've actually worked out pretty well. I need to lace them up the way I like, but so far I haven't had any weird arch or heel pains that sometimes come with new shoes (I have a weird, high arch and I need tons of stability).

I did my first two runs in Monday and Wednesday and had a blast. I'm shy, I'm naturally protective (it really takes me a long time to let people in), and I like to take time during the intervals to just look around, so for at least 1/3 of each class I've been a one woman wolf-pack. Besides, I don't have kids or dogs, so sometimes it's hard to find topics of interest.

By the end of the second class, I was ready to run more. I have to remind myself I've been mostly sedentary for nearly six months and pushing myself is not going to do anything but injure me. At least I ride to class, so I do get that little extra on the bike.

It's beautiful and wonderful to be running again. This time around I'm really trying to concentrate on my breathing. Having a talking partner actually helps, believe it or not. I thought it would be the opposite, that conversing would make me forget my breathing but that hasn't been the case.

I'm waking up early tomorrow so I'll have to save more details for a later post. So far, a positive experience! I'm excited for next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment